Sunday 1 March 2015

The Great Juggling Act



It’s a surprising, but true fact of life that often the things that you put the least effort into are the most successful. This week, I have been reminded again of God’s supreme goodness to me, through his amazing faithfulness to aspects of my life that I have neglected. It is fair to say that, as a teacher, there are numerous balls flying in the air around my frazzled head at any given time. What with lessons to plan; parents to appease; children to discipline, pacify or build up; marking to complete; referrals to make; matches to organise; extra curricular clubs to run – I spend  the 10 hours of my day in the school building completely and utterly flat out. 


Inevitably, the ball juggling act is impossible to maintain at a constant pace and the occasional ball will drop out of your line of vision. There are always balls that you perceive to be bigger and more precious - the ones you feel the need to concentrate on… Perhaps the ones that are more likely to crash catastrophically should you take your eyes off them. They’re the ones that people are watching – judging your handling of with critical, knowing eyes. Due to the enormity of certain projects on my plate at the moment, I have, to my shame, neglected other, less ‘public’ projects – though ones which would give God the glory.


… And yet…


It’s these that God catches before they hit the floor, elevating them higher than you could even have imagined. I have been amazed by His faithfulness to me this week, even when I fail to prioritise the things in my life properly. Even when I work hard to please people instead of God, he doesn’t give up on me, but helps me to recognise the hidden, surprising blessings in my life.


I have learnt once again the importance of leaning on God, rather than relying on my own strength and ability to juggle everything successfully. I have also learnt that sometimes, just sometimes, it is OK to be out of control… to not have everything organised and planned perfectly. Because it’s in these moments that there is space for God to break in and for His will to be done.  In this context, you are forced to ask for help, because you simply can’t do it alone. And, by His almighty grace, He will break in and help out.


I challenge you to take a look at your life this week. Think about where your priorities lie (and where they don’t!) and where God is keeping things afloat, through no real effort on your part. Find the time to thank him for His awesome faithfulness and goodness to you. Give Him the glory and watch what he does through these aspects of your life. I guarantee exciting things will happen when you give Him the glory – just you wait and see!

'Give all your worries to Him, because He cares for you' (1 Peter 5:7)


2 comments:

  1. This really struck a chord with me Emma. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's no problem Jo - I'm so pleased that you were encouraged by it :)

      Delete